Tuesday 24 May 2011

To learn or to m-learn... that is the question

The future appears to be in m-learning. I realised today, that I was not using my iphone to its full potential! My iphone is a much greater procrastination tool than I gave it credit for. This is honestly a little bit dangerous in the final weeks of semester, as I am always on the look out for new and exciting distractions. I think that the use of mobile technology is an interesting educational resource and provides  students with new ways of learning and experiencing the world. However, we do encounter the issue of privacy and when we are engaging with these technologies, we need to be aware that we are on public display and this has potential security ramifications.

I feel that the benefits of m-learning far out weighs the costs and students are encouraged to be actively involved in the learning process. Students are encouraged to seek out new information and to follow up information at their own pace. M-learning technologies encourage students to construct their own learning.

The Matrix anyone?

I have had minimal previous experience with virtual worlds, I once attempted to enter the world of The Sims but was instantly put off by the idea of having to build 'fake' houses, towns and communities, when the 'real' world existed outside of the computer screen. When engaging with virtual worlds, there needs to be boundaries. A virtual world is not the 'real' world, although 'real' money can change hands, which I find a little bit concerning. Virtual worlds appear to be like a massive international game, where users engage in 'real' world interactions, using an avatar. In a virtual world, users can dream up what they want to look like, what they do and how they act. I feel as though users risk losing themselves in their virtual world as a form of escapism from the 'real' world.

However, I can see some educational benefits for experimenting with virtual worlds. I really like the idea that students can explore an ancient world in a visual and practical way, which has the potential to provide students with a genuine experience of life in an ancient era. It also provides the more visual learners with an opportunity to engage with educational material in a way which is suited to their learning style. M-learning tools and visual worlds are educationally beneficial but should be accompanied by a strong pedagogical framework.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lexie! I agree that virtual worlds could potentially be a bit dangerous. I could certainly see them becoming very addictive. I agree with you that the educational potential is great. It would be a fantastic platform for virtual field trips, and I think that students would love it. If a student in class was overseas, it could be a great way for the rest of the class to "visit" the same places so that it can be discussed once the holidaying student returns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Liz! I totally (NZ accent) agree :) I think it would be amazing to go on virtual field trips with students and actually could be a whole lot cheaper, much easier to organise and good for time management!

    ReplyDelete